Tuesday 14 January 2014

Just a blur

I glimpsed a Chiffchaff whilst walking the dog through Orrell Water Park yesterday so I took the same route today to see if I could find it again and get a few photos. I soon found it flitting through reeds and low down in willows in the same area as yesterday. It was very active and spent quite a lot of time hopping around on the mud by the waters edge or fly-catching amongst the reeds. Despite spending a good couple of hours trying to get some photos I only managed to get a few blurred record shots. It just didn't keep still for a second and generally stayed obscured by reed stems and twigs.

 
 
 
Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus collybita) at Orrell Water Park 14-01-14.

I wouldn't normally post blurred photos like these but it is my first warbler sighting of 2014 and was a little unexpected. I walk that route regularly and haven't seen or heard it before so it may have only arrived recently. I had expected a Blackcap to be my first warbler of 2014 as they usually come to the feeders in the garden but they remain conspicuous by their absence this winter. It will be interesting to see if this Chiffchaff stays around for the rest of the winter, if it does I will try and get some better photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment