Wednesday 27 November 2013

27/11/13 - Keeping the light on

I have kept the moth trap running despite the cold and frosty nights of late. Whilst the moth trap has been drawing a blank I have seen a quite a few Winter Moths and possibly the odd Northern Winter Moth whilst walking the dog, even on the coldest evening. I keep meaning to take a net and few tubs with me every time I go out after dark only to remember what I should have done when a moth flutters across my path. I have caught a few of these moths by hand including one earlier tonight but each has been of the bog standard Winter Moth variety..
 
A slight increase in the temperature over the last couple of nights finally produced two moths in the trap this morning. A male December Moth was only the second of the autumn whilst an Angle Shades was one of many, albeit the first for a while. Not much to write about really but better than nothing. Moth catches are unlikely to get much better than this for some time but I will continue to keep the light on for a good while yet..


December Moth (Poecilocampa populi)



December Moth (Poecilocampa populi). The heavily feathered
antennae and size identify this individual as a male
Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa)


Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa),
looking very much like a crumpled or withered autumn leaf


No comments:

Post a Comment