Sunday 2 December 2012

TELX returns to winter at OWP

I got home from work this afternoon and had time to check out the Black-headed Gulls at Orrell Water Park. Both lakes had largely frozen over and I knew it would be easier to check them for rings when they were standing on the ice. About 80 Black-headed Gulls were gathered on the ice when I arrived but a few others were on a small area of open water. On the first scan I only noticed one with a metal ring and this was the German ringed bird that I have recorded several times already this winter.

German ringed Black-headed Gull. We are awaiting the ringing details of this bird.
 On a subsequent scan I noticed a bird with a white darvic ring inscribed TELX. I photographed this bird several times last winter and subsequently found out that it had been ringed as a chick at Przykona Reservoir near Radyczyny in Poland on 11th June 2011 (see map below). It hadn’t been recorded anywhere else when I first reported it last year. It will be interesting to find out if it has been recorded elsewhere since last winter.

TELX Black-headed Gull photographed at Orrell Water Park 02/12/12

TELX Black-headed Gull photographed at Orrell Water Park 02/12/12
TELX Black-headed Gull photographed at Orrell Water Park 02/01/12 when first sighted
The map below shows the ringing and sighting locations. The distance between them is 897 miles.


View Black-headed Gull TELX in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment